Social Icons

Sunday 25 July 2010

Cartoon Capers

For some people, a love of cartoons doesn't go away when you grow older. I am one of those people. Sometimes it can be difficult to show this through fashion in a way that is quirky and stylish without being tacky or (sometimes) just simply strange. As collaborations become more and more popular, here are a few of my favourite recent pairings, who I feel have managed to strike the balance between whimsy and wearable perfectly...

I was super excited and intrigued when I heard a few months ago about MAC Cosmetics' plans to unveil a collaboration with Disney for fall 2010. The Venomous Villains collection draws inspiration from some of Disney's most glamorous ladies, including Cruella De Vil and the Evil Queen from Snow White & the Seven Dwarves.

More information is frequently becoming available about the collection, which is said to include 40 items, in the lead up to its release in September. The Hello Kitty collection last year was amazing, and this collaboration is shaping up to be just as good. As a Disney fan and a self-confessed MAC addict, I can't wait! The teaser advert for Venomous Villains can be viewed here.

A pair of Converse Chuck Taylors are a basic style staple, I know very few people that don't own a pair. Now Converse have teamed up with childhood favourite Dr Seuss to create a collection of Chucks boldly decorated with colours and characters from the popular series of stories.

I can't decide which pair I like best! The collection can be viewed here and includes shoes for adults and children.

A lot of girls (and boys) are obsessed with Hello Kitty. As I mentioned earlier, their collaboration with MAC last year was excellent and sold very quickly. I wish I could explain the appeal to those who don't get what the fuss over Hello Kitty is about, but I can't. I suppose it's like marmite, except very kawaii! You either love it or you don't.

So! When I heard about the collaboration between Hello Kitty creator Sanrio and Dr Martens I know that cuteness would be the order of the day, and I wasn't disappointed.

The collection consists of 5 pieces - three pairs of classic 8-hole boots (as above) and two pairs of mary jane shoes. Bright colours and bows ensure that all 5 designs are eye-catching and unique.

I'm sure we will be seeing more and more cartoon-inspired fashion in the shops and out on the street. Will you be shopping any of these collections?


No comments:

Post a Comment