Social Icons

Wednesday 8 December 2010

Winter Style Part 2 - Coat Yourself in Warmth

Continuing from my last blog, I'm still looking at my favourite ways to stay warm during what I am now terming the 'Snow-pocalypse'...

Sometimes I see people out at this time of year without a coat or jacket and think they must be mad. Yes, we can see that that t-shirt is pretty awesome, but accessorised with blue arms and a shiver? Not so good my friend. I move on now to winter coats, a basic wardrobe style staple that - if chosen well - will see you through a few winters.

Personally, I favour a good wool peacoat. Simple, chic and unfussy, a peacoat will keep you warm and with my own navy Anglomania princess peacoat well into it's third year now (and still looking in good shape) the style will always look current no matter what the current trends are. Topshop are doing a few on-trend variations on the classic coat, noteably this tweed Boyfriend style coat (£85) and their Premium Hairy Peacoat (£130).

My other favourite kind of coat - and perfect for this kind of weather - is a glorious, warm faux-fur coat (preferably in leopard print, not that I'm fussy...). Faux-fur coats are fun, glamorous and allow you to channel your inner forties screen starlet while staying toasty at the same time. Second-hand/ vintage faux-fur coats are (usually) very good quality and well-priced (or at least they used to be). A rummage through your local thrift store, vintage emporium or Urban Outfitters (thanks to their Urban Renewal initiative) might result in finding a gorgeous and warm piece.



A selection of vintage coats available at Urban Outfitters (various prices).

Alternatively, many high street stores have caught on to the genius of the faux-fur coat. Mango, Lipsy, River Island and Topshop all have very nice and affordable coats, but full marks go to French Connection's collection of furry beauties. This little number (£175) makes me just want to dive in and snuggle up.

Of course, these are just two of my favourite styles of coat, there are several other options available too. This means that there is no excuse and we should all be trying to stay warm no matter what style of coat we choose. Awesome t-shirt or not.

What is your coat of choice this winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment