Social Icons

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Edinburgh Antics

At the weekend I decided to celebrate my 28th year on the planet by having a jaunt through to Edinburgh and a fun-filled day at the zoo. I've had lots of lovely visits to Edinburgh Zoo before, but what made this trip extra exciting was that it was the first time I had went since the arrival of the two giant pandas, Yang Guang and Tian Tian (also known as Sunshine and Sweetie - adorable!). I love seeing all animals, but I'd never seen pandas before!

Armed with copious amounts of picnic food and a car journey soundtrack to make my heart (and tone deaf voice) sing, we set off for the zoo on a very rainy Saturday morning. It was soaking wet when we left Glasgow and I was starting to wonder if I had made the right decision. After all, no-one likes a soggy picnic and what if the animals were all hiding from the rain? Luckily, the rain totally cleared up and it was dry in Edinburgh by the time we arrived. Apart from a few light showers here and there, the sun was out and it was dry and bright for the most part. Score!
 
I decided to wear my Hello Kitty vans as I knew I had a long day of walking ahead. I also wore my favourite Prince t-shirt from Topshop,  tube skirt from Primark and Levi's denim trucker vest. I was glad that I had sunglasses and a small unbrella with me as it turned out I used both of them in the one day! I also wore a glittery star headband by Crown and Glory - because nothing says "I'm the birthday girl" like sparkly stars in your hair, right?


There was plenty to see at the zoo - and I got to see every animal except for the porcupine (I don't know where that guy was). I couldn't pick a favourite but some of my highlights were the koalas, the monkeys, the penguins (in their newly opened Penguins Rock island enclosure, which looks amazing and gives visitors the freedom to walk around and over the water while the penguins swim), the jaguar (pictured below) and of course, the pandas. I didn't get to see Tian Tian, who is thought to be pregnant at the moment, but I did get to see Yang Guang who was super cute and looked very hug-able! He spends 16 hours a day sleeping and the remainder of the time eating - what a life! Look out for a photo I took of Yang Guang in my next blog post!

I really enjoyed learning about the animals in the zoo, and it was great to hear about all of the conservation projects that the zoo is involved in as well. It's a great day out and although it costs £16 I really feel like it was worth the entry fee. I made sure I booked our slot to see the pandas in advance (slots are free but limited so it's best to book in advance) and we had just enough time in the rest of the day to walk around the whole zoo. As the zoo is situated on a steep slope, I think we were burning off the picnic in no time!

After our day with the animals, we knew it would be a crime not to swing by Krispy Kreme while in Edinburgh. I know, I know -  I think I'm probably the last blogger in Scotland to visit our (one and only) branch of the ever-popular donuts and coffee joint, but when it comes to sugary treats I just can't help myself. Luckily my faithful companions were of the same opinion and we bought some donuts and iced coffee and chilled out in a booth for a little while. We also bought a box of a dozen donuts of our choice (harder than it sounds considering I would happily eat ALL OF THEM) and took them home to enjoy later. The Millionaire's Shortcake flavour has to be my favourite of the moment, although I had a praline one that was also amazing. Obsessed!


I thoroughly enjoyed my day in Edinburgh and will definitely not leave it as long before the next time I go! Have you been to Edinburgh Zoo? What about Krispy Kreme? What is your favourite flavour of donut?
Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. i don't know why, because you've clearly stated otherwise, but i seriously thought you lived in Edinburgh! i'm heading up there in Dec, and was hoping we could squeeze in a coffee! ahhh well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw no! It would have been awesome to meet up. You must let me know if you ever come to Glasgow and we can hatch a plan ;) xx

      Delete
  2. Sparkly stars definitely scream I'm the birthday girl! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree Franki! Sparkly minds think alike x

      Delete
  3. Ahh, this makes me all nostalgic for my childhood - haven't been to Edinburgh zoo in YEARS!

    xo

    http://laurawhispering.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to take you on a stroll down memory lane, girl! You should go see it for yourself, I'm sure it will be just as good (or better) than you remember! x

      Delete