Social Icons

Saturday 3 August 2013

Vintage Twirls

Last weekend I went along to Vintage Glasgow 2013, a festival in its own right and being held this year in Glasgow for two days as part of the bigger Merchant City Festival event. My friend and I went on the Saturday and enjoyed lots of what the festival had to offer. A large chunk of our day was spent indoors at The Old Fruitmarket, putting our best feet forward at Let It Rock (and by the way, whoever decided to hold a club during the day totally deserves a high-five) and learning a few new steps. Let It Rock was excellent and had a great, friendly atmosphere. It was wonderful to see so many people joining in the dance lessons and the live band, The Coy Dogs, kept us jiving with their excellent covers of songs by classic artists like Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran.

 Many of the other events were also being held indoors and after Let It Rock finished we took a little wander elsewhere in the City Halls. We took a peek into the Tiki Bar, found a couple of workshops and screenings being held upstairs and even spied Vintage festival founder Wayne Hemmingway sitting on a sofa chatting!

Back outside, the streets were filled with people and it was great to see so many people out enjoying the festival. Lots of people were dressed in outfits inspired by their favourite decades and as it was such a nice day there was no risk of perfectly coiffed hair getting wet! I was hoping to get myself a vintage pin-up girl hairdo at the Vintage Salon, but I was not the only one with that idea - the appointments were all fully booked by the time I arrived! Never mind. I still enjoyed seeing the end results on the other girls, their hair looked gorgeous! 

We took a trip into the Vintage Marketplace and enjoyed having a rummage at the vintage clothes and homewares (including a brilliant/ terrifying bust of Elvis' head and shoulders...that kind of looked a little like Roseanne Barr as well...). There were some local indie designers at the marketplace too and I spotted stalls from We Are The Robots, Tatty Bon and Gillian Kyle amongst others. I bought The Boy a couple of presents from Beardcraft's stall - a shop I haven't come across before but I was glad that I did! Brilliant products and branding and The Boy loved his loot.

Never one to shy away from a photobooth I also took full advantage of the Dr Martens free photobooth van, I promise that getting in the back of a van and having our photo taken was NOT as seedy as it sounds! The photobooth was a very nifty touchscreen device and automatically printed a full colour glossy print - I could have happily played in it for much longer! There were also plenty of food and craft stalls on the surrounding streets (did someone say CANNOLI?!) to explore - after all, dancing sure builds up an appetite!

Ever since filming my Blogcademy Scholarship entry video I feel like I've caught the iPhone video bug! If you never made it along to Vintage Glasgow 2013 (or even if you did), here is a wee video I made of my time at the festival - I'm sorry it's so narrow, I forgot to turn my phone around and film it widescreen (rookie error)...

 
.
I hope you've enjoyed my little summary of Vintage Glasgow 2013. I had a ball and really hope it comes back to see us again next year!

Did you go to Vintage? What was your favourite part? Did you spot the Elvis/ Roseanne bust?!

Thanks for reading!

PS: the song on my little video is Gator's Groove by  Willis Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment