Social Icons

Thursday 25 July 2013

Rock n' Roll Blog School

This blog post is a little different from my usual posts for two reasons: Firstly, it's my first ever blog video (but more on that in a moment)! And most importantly, this post is my scholarship application for The Blogcademy in London!

SAY WHAT?! Let me explain. The Blogcademy is a two-day blogging masterclass, devised and run by blogging royalty: Kat Williams of Rock n' Roll Bride, Shauna Haider of Nubby Twiglet and Gala Darling. I have followed their World Tour via their blog with much admiration, ever since their first New York session last year, reading about their classes as they take their smarts, sass and sequins to bloggers in cities worldwide. The 3 headmistresses offer personal advice, blogging wisdom and bucketloads of encouragement to their classes; drawing on their collective knowledge and experience. This class is designed for those who want to take their blog to the next level and keep on building - which is exactly what I'm looking for. I've started making a few small changes in the right direction but I really need the guidance to help me make the full journey.

When I first started this blog, I had the intention of writing solely about fashion. While I love clothes (and you know I do!), I started kicking myself about pigeonholing into such a specific category. If I went to an awesome restaurant (for example) or seen a fantastic film, I wanted to be able to write about it. And, I'm utterly in love with my little patch of Glasgow so I try to feature it as much as I can too! So in March this year, with a new layout and a new outlook, I revamped the blog a little. After all, it's my blog!

I feel like I've just taken the first step. I'd love to attend the Blogcademy to build my blogging mojo, help my blog progress further and help it meet its full potential. On a sunny Sunday morning, The Boy and I filmed this video on my iPhone to sum up my application in a way that I feel says what I want to say, and in a way that is still 'me'. I hope you like it:


As a huge music fan, I took inspiration from Bob Dylan's iconic video for Subterranean Homesick Blues when deciding how to put together an entry. When we were watching the footage back afterwards, it seemed like the natural choice of song would be The Ramones' Rock n' Roll High School - after all, I'm hoping to get SCHOOLED! I had a blast filming it, yes it's a little bit silly (like me) but I'm really proud of my first video (also big props to The Boy for his filming magic). A year ago, I wouldn't even put pictures of myself on my blog - I just wasn't confident enough. If you'd told me then that I'd be putting a video in a post, I wouldn't have believed you! I still can't quite believe it right now. I'm starting to get myself out of my comfort zone a bit, one step at a time!

When I read that The Blogcademy Tour was coming back to the UK, I just knew that I needed to grab this opportunity to apply for their Scholarship programme. One lucky blogger will win the chance to attend their London workshop in September (a Scholarship is offered for every city) and learn how to transform their blogging brand in an environment filled with likeminded, passionate peers.

I hope that the Blogcademy babes like my video - and even better still, think it's good enough to win the Scholarship!

Keep your fingers crossed for me (toes too!).

Love,

WestEndGirl x

4 comments: